Day 7
To start today's report, here is one of the photos I took yesterday in the forest west of Swansea. Yesterday was a good day, but it doesn't compare with today.
![]() |
| Pools in a stream in the forest |
Last night was very cold and the wind
howled. When I looked out this morning the sky was clear, but it was
windy. I went to the beach for another amazing sunrise, but didn't
stay very long because my feet and hands were so cold.
![]() |
| Sunrise over Great Oyster Bay this morning |
Once breakfast was over, I packed up
and headed north along the Tasman Highway. Bicheno was my first
stop, a pretty town on a sweeping stretch of white sand, with turquoise
waters beyond. I took a lot of photos here because somehow I feared
this would be the last of the pristine coastal scenery. I needn't
have worried.
From Bicheno the highway hugs the
coast, with plenty of opportunities to catch the view. Last time I
passed this way, in 2002, it rained all the way and I saw nothing.
This time I ambled along at my own pace and drank in the beauty of
this magical place. I ate lunch at Falmouth and stopped at Scamander
to take shots from the sand dunes.
![]() |
| Four Mile Beach, just one of many stops I made along the way |
My plan was to skip St Helens and stay at Binalong. In the past I've seen beautiful photos of The Bay of Fires, and Binalong was the closest town. Binalong has a breath taking beach, but no camping ground. So I drove back to St Helens where I'd earlier passed a camping ground.
![]() |
| Binalong Beach, picture postcard perfection |
What can I say: The Bay of Fires was absolutely beautiful. I spent about three hours there exploring and taking photos.
![]() |
| The Bay of Fires, what you don't see here is the red rocks and the beautiful formations on the coast - I can't show you everything |
As I returned to St Helens I kept an eye on the sky, always hoping for a brilliant sunset. The sunset didn't eventuate, but I got back to St Helens a little before dusk and on the off chance, stopped at the water front. What I saw was beyond my wildest dreams, the water was still as glass, and the reflections were perfect. I'll let the attached photo speak for itself.
![]() |
| Dusk on St Helens water front |
This is another magnificent place,
already I have decided to stay a second night at St Helens; it's wall
to wall picture postcard beautiful.






Hi Keith! So pleased you had a wonderful day and I love this sample of your photos -- now I am waiting patiently for many albums full of glorious scenes... I heartily agree that St Helen's is very pretty -- my motel room overlooked that harbour, and I hope you get a spectacular Sunrise over George's Bay in the morning. Once you leave St Helens, you will also have to leave the coastline too, but I know you will find some real treasures in the Weldborough Rainforest. Enjoy it all... Safe and Happy travelling... Gladys, Western Australia...
ReplyDeleteThank God, Keith, for a glorious, wonderful day of sightseeing for you today. All your photos are fantastically beautiful. I’m so glad you got that sunrise shot over Great Oyster Bay before leaving. I love how you have it lined up over the boat. The beach scenes are just amazing, especially Binalong Beach. Wow! Dusk on St Helens Harbour, amazing. You are just whetting our appetites for your albums when you return. I’m so glad you’re staying another night in this beautiful place. That’s the joy of having a camper. You are so free to do whatever you like. A fantastic day for you. I’m so happy for you. A little bit of Texas following you a day behind :) ..Betty
ReplyDelete