Day 8
Woken by freezing toes this morning; my feet can get uncovered in the night,
in my too short bed. I pulled back the curtain to see a beautiful
clear sky, it was about 7, I knew the sun would rise over George Bay
in about 15 minutes. I'm camped about 3 Km from the bay, but to get
there meant packing up everything and stowing it away. I had to
disconnect the power, water and drainage, and get down to the bay in
time for the sunrise. It was never going to happen.
That's the disadvantage
of a camper van. If I had a car, I could be gone quickly. If I had
my time again, I'd hire a car and rent a cabin each night. There are
very few motels in Tasmania, and not so many caravan parks, but
there's enough and they all seem to have vacancies.
The same goes for service
stations, there are no service centres between towns, and precious
few in the towns. I've not seen a Coles or Woolworths since I left
Hobart, and there are no fast junk food outlets that we see on the
mainland. If you aren't with Telstra, you don't have a mobile phone
service either. In many respects Tasmania is like the Outback, only
with narrow sealed roads.
I haven't seen a dual carriageways since leaving Hobart, and there are no overtaking lanes, mainly
because there is almost no traffic. If it weren't for camper vans
and cars towing caravans, the roads would be virtually empty. I've
seen one Police car every day since I arrived, but somebody told me
they only have one, and they trot it out to fool the tourists.
This morning the lady in
Reception suggested I visit St Helen's Point, and in the afternoon
take a drive to Eddystone Lighthouse. After checking on Google, I
discovered the lighthouse is at the end of a 35 Km dirt road through
a forest. My van really doesn't like dirt roads, it shakes and
rattles, and everything comes loose. Seventy Kilometres round trip
on a dirt road put it out of range. Another disadvantage of a camper
van, where a car would have handled it with ease.
So I went to St Helens Point, parked at Burns Bay and took a 40 minute walk along the coast to Beerbarrell Beach (great name for a beach!).
![]() |
| Two shots of Beerbarrel Beach as with most places in Tasmania, there was nobody there. |
Rather than retrace my steps along the coast from Beerbarrel Beach to Burns Bay, I figured a walk along the road would be a shorter option. Blind faith led me back to the car park where I left my van in about 20 minutes. By then I was exhausted,
and it was well past midday. Rather than eat lunch in the Burns Bay
car park, I came back to my overnight space in the camping ground.
Once I stopped moving, I decided to stay put. After a week of travelling, I'm tired and it's catching up with me. With well over 200 emails in my Inbox, I made a start on the backlog. I wrote some overdue emails and and about an hour before dusk I returned to the waterfront in the hope of another round of afternoon photos. Even though every sunset is different, I wasn't disappointed.
![]() |
| Another day, another dusk at St Helens. Is this a regular thing, or did I fluke two perfect afternoons in a photographer's paradise? |




Hi Keith! This is great being able to check in each night before I go to bed and find out how you spent your day (the wonders of modern communication)! Beautiful beach scenes, so pristine and the rocks add character -- well done! The boy and his father have good reason to be proud of their catch. Dusk over the water at St Helens is just the way I remember it too. Wishing you safe and happy travels for tomorrow.. Gladys, Western Australia...
ReplyDeleteI don’t know how I missed a day of your blog. I was going back through and noticed I had not seen this one. I’ve been experiencing internet connection problems the last couple of days. Glad to see you got more of your outstanding beach photos although it was less than convenient for you in the van. It was a very nice catch for the boy and his father, and good for you to be able to talk with them for a few minutes. The water at St. Helens being so calm with the boats and pink sky are perfect. You have yet another wonderful image. I hope you have great weather for the remainder of your trip. ..Betty
ReplyDelete