Last night I absolutely froze at
Delorane, it was cold this morning too, but the day was perfect.
Deloriane is a pretty little town, population about 2,200, with great
views to the Great Western Tiers, a range of mountains running roughly
parallel to the coast. Before leaving I got a few shots from around
Deloriane, below is a shot of the Meander River taken from a
footbridge in a lovely park. Just imagine living in that house on
the left hand side of the photo!
![]() |
| The Meander River at Deloraine |
With Smithton as my objective, I hit
the Bass Highway and headed west along the north coast of Tasmania.
It's a picturesque drive, the highway hugs the coast for much of the
time, and some of the views are amazng. Unfortunately it's a
busy highway and there are not many places to stop and enjoy the
view.
Between the beach and the highway is an abandoned railway line. What a criminal waste of a resource; tourists would surely pay good money to take a train ride along this coast, with stops at some of the more beautiful places, a good meal, and possibly an overnight stay at the end of the line. Better still, a tour into the Tarkine Wilderness. Check the photos below for examples of the view and now close the railway is to the highway, and the coast.
![]() | ||
I took this shot from the side of the road at Wynyard.
|
It wasn't all driving, I stopped in
Bernie and visited the Table Cape Lighthouse near Wynyard. Below is a
shot of me at a viewing deck at Table Cape. No matter how well
intentioned the offer to take a shot of you at some landmark, always
beware, the intention seldom translates into a credible photo.
![]() |
| Keith at Table Cape, photo courtesy of a fellow traveller |
The Cape Flat Lighthouse is still a
working lighthouse, although these days it's automated. At the
lighthouse I was greeted by a man calling from the top of the tower.
He asked if I wanted to see inside, and when I said I did, he came
down and took me inside to hear about its history, and to see how it
works now. Below are a few shots from my visit to the lighthouse.
![]() | ||
An invitation too good to refuse.
|
![]() |
| Looking out through a window in the lighthouse |
From Table Cape I drove on to Smithton while
listening to the radio. Tomorrow's forecast is for another
fine day, but it's likely to rain the day after. With that in mind,
I drove the extra hour to Arthur River where I want to take a half
day cruise up the Arthur River and into the Tarkine Wilderness. A
particlar cruise had been recommended by people I met last week at
Swansea.
Arriving at Arthur River I found the cruise wharf, with directions to the reservation office. Even though it was well past 5, I followed the directions and found a lady working at the office. I booked a place on a cruise departing tomorrow morning at 10:15. As luck would have it, they also operate a small store and camping ground. So I hired a site for two nights.
Tonight I'm the only camper in a lovely grassed site close to the Arthur River. Around dusk I heard Sea Eagles calling and tonight there's a chorus of frogs not far from my van. A notice in the amenities block warns that the gates will be shut at dark to keep the wildlife out of the camping ground....
I've managed to land in another little piece of Paradise!







Hi Keith! You certainly had a wonderful day as you travelled along the north coast of Tassie. Climbing the Lighthouse was a real bonus and certainly good exercise (doubt if my legs would have made it up all those steps)! Lovely views and I look forward to great in-depth albums. I hope you have an extra blanket for warmth tonight, and I wish you a fantastic cruise tomorrow.. Gladys, Western Australia...
ReplyDeleteBy the time you see my post, tomorrow for you will have come and gone. I tried 3 times last night to open the blog but the internet was not allowing me to progress. I kept getting page not available. And then again this morning (Wednesday, March 28, for me) I was not able to enter the blog page. Since then the day has come and gone here in Dallas and I was out, so I’m sorry I wasn’t able to blog last night.
ReplyDeleteI’m so glad to read of your very interesting day driving along the coast and finding the lighthouse. It’s a wonderful picture of the lighthouse stairs, as of course are all your photos. It’s great that you managed again to find a wonderful campsite to get ready for your cruise. You’re doing all the good, Keith. By the time you may discover that I’ve commented on your blog you will have already been on your cruise. So I’m off to your next page to catch up and hear of the exciting details of the cruise.. Betty