Last night when I went
to bed I intended to get up to see the sunrise this morning, since
every sunrise is different, and the view from here is so amazing. It
poured rain overnight, the sound of it on the van roof woke me twice.
It was still raining at 7, so I turned over and went back to sleep.
When I finally woke at 9 the sun was shining in a cloudy sky and the
view across the bay was wonderful. I love the view from here so much
that I decided to stay another night. That way I could explore a bit
before moving on tomorrow.
Yesterday on my way to Freycinet National Park I drove past signs pointing to places I thought may be interesting, so today I went exploring on roads leading off the Tasman Highway. The idea was to visit Lake Leake, but along the way I saw roads leading to other places, so I let myself get distracted.
A particular distraction was a
forest road to Lost Falls. It was a dirt road with a good surface,
and led to a picnic ground deep in the forest. Leading out of the
picnic ground were several walking tracks. The track to the falls
was beautiful for the trees, rocks and vegetation I saw. Everything
is vaguely familiar, yet it's different from the forests at home.
Even more different are the birds, particularly the parrots I've
never seen before.
First I took the track to
the falls, but they were dry, with not even a trickle of water. With
that in mind, I was probably foolish to follow a trail to see pools
in the stream. This track took me to a creek bed that must at times
be quite a sight, but today was a series of pools connected by water
gently spilling one into the other.
In the depths of the
forest, this really was a lovely sight, and I was able to walk along
the creek bed with ease. I took some photos, but have not yet
downloaded then from my camera. I won't do it tonight because it's
so late; watch for some photos in tomorrows update.
I ate my lunch in the
forest and was tempted to take other forest roads to just about
anywhere. But I know how easy it is to get lost in a forest, and how
invaluable a reliable GPS can be. With no confidence in my GPS, even
in a city, I wasn't placing my life in the hands of the GPS in a
Tasmanian forest.
Eventually I made it to
Lake Leake, a trout lake in a forest with a camping ground and
facilities for fishermen. It was raining while I was there, the
scenery wasn't compelling, so I kept driving. Lake Leake is
obviously a man made lake, the water is dotted with the stumps of now
submerged trees. Small wonder the creek at Lost Falls had si little water and the Falls were dry. It's not for me to question the land and water
management policies of Tasmanian governments, past and present, but
it looked like environmental vandalism to me.
Given the fiasco that is
the Murray Darling, as a New South Welshman I'm in no position to
point the finger at any other state, so I've said my piece and will
move on.
There was another lake in a forest I wanted to see, but after driving for many Kilometres I came to a locked gate. Apparently the lake was a private fishing lodge for paying guests, and that didn't include me.
Today a had a new
experience that is worth reporting. I went to a service station to
fill my tank, but couldn't pump any diesel. A man came out of the
service station and asked how I wanted to pay, in cash or by credit
card. I said “credit card” and he explained that I had to use
the self pay machine situated between the bowsers. This was a first
for me, I'd never seen the like.
He explained that in Tasmania many service stations do not have anybody working at night or at week ends. I had to insert my credit card, enter my PIN and nominate a maximum purchase. When the transaction was approved, I entered the number of the bowser, and pumped my fuel. The bowser would stop when my nominated value had been pumped, or my tank was full, which ever came first. Too easy, I'm surprised not to have seen these machines everywhere.
So this was a fairly
passive day. In the afternoon the weather turned very cold, with a
gusty westerly blowing. The forecast is for snow down to 600 metres,
meaning most of the interior of the state will get snow tonight.
It's very cold and I'm glad to have a little fan heater to warm my
van.
Hi Keith! Another enjoyable day of exploration and new experiences -- pleased you didn't get lost in the forest (perhaps you should get one of those spot tracker things)! I think you could happily spend a week in this area and still not see everything. Just as well there was an attendant at the Servo to assist you. The logic behind this system is to prevent 'drive offs' where people fill their tank and drive off without paying -- no doubt it will only be a matter of time before it is used everywhere. Much cooler here lately, and the forecast of snow for Tassie sounds COLD!! Stay warm and have a good day tomorrow... Gladys, Western Australia...
ReplyDeleteHi Keith, What fun to read of your adventures. I am so sorry to hear of more rain. Obviously you made the best of it and got some rest. And you had your lovely visit in the forest. Can’t wait to see your photos. I’m so glad you didn’t allow yourself to get lost. I would not trust the GPS either. Here we can put a credit/debit card into gas pumps just about everywhere at all the pumps in addition to having the option of going into the store to pay the clerk. I never knew that Australia had snow anywhere. That is a complete surprise to me. I guess you are glad to have a heater. I didn’t know it was that cold. I guess on your next post you will have moved on to a new location. You found a gem here. In either case, I look forward to your posts and photos. Get a good rest and have a wonderful time. ..Betty
ReplyDelete