Monday, 2 April 2012


Another night with a lousy internet connection. I've been trying for four hours to get online, but it isn't happening. Fifteen Km from the centre of Hobart, five bars and no connection; not happy. Some nights it improves towards midnight, so I'm writing my blog on my word processor in the hope I'll get online later.

Today I took a drive down the Tasman Peninsula, Port Arthur is on the Tasman Peninsula, I've been there twice before, so it wasn't my destination today. Rather, I wanted to visit the Tesselated Pavement, Devil's Kitchen, Tasman Arch and Blowhole.

The weather started out bright and sunny, but turned cloudy in the early afternoon. I took some photos, but not many. A cold wind blew up, the sky clouded over and the temperature dropped, so I came back to the camp site. Because Tasmania is fairly close to Antarctica, cold fronts come up from the south and the weather can change is a matter of minutes. I never mentioned that I saw snow on the mountains when I was in the north last week.

Tomorrow I head for home, but I'll be busy before I catch my plane. I need to get to a car wash, I've laundry that needs doing, at present it's stuffed into a backpack. When my gear is clean it will fit into my case, and I'll pack my bags. I certainly brought too many clothes, but better too many than not enough.

The van has to be back before 3, I'll have it there by 2. Check in for my flight is at 3, I'm glad to be on an afternoon flight. I'll be in Sydney at 6:30, say 7:30 at my hotel. Then it's dinner and if the weather is okay, I'll try to get the night shots that got rained out on my trip south.

I planned to include some shots tonight, but I'll post this the minute I can get online, and not push my luck any more than necessary. Bring on the NBN, the sooner the better!!  Some MONA shots tomorrow, at least in Sydney I'll have a decent connection.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Keith! Your internet connection difficulties certainly illustrate why Australia definitely needs the NBN, and we all need it ASAP! Those who think it is an unnecessary extravagance have no forward vision and are apparently content for us to lag behind the rest of the world. However, it was great to be able to read about your day's experiences and the photos can wait until later.
    Actually, I checked back for another look at your Platypus pics and found that my comments have vanished into space -- not to worry, just telling you again that I was so pleased you actually saw them and actually got photos to treasure. Well done... Tomorrow will be busy for you and here's hoping that all runs smoothly.. Safe and Happy Travelling... Gladys, Western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, So who would have thought there in Hobart you couldn’t get the internet when all over the island you’ve done pretty well… You’ve done an outstanding job all throughout your trip. I don’t know what the NBN is but perhaps some kind of overall internet availability? Well, the other parts of the world, ie, Dallas, Texas, don’t want you to lag behind either. The photos can definitely wait. Here’s to great weather when you return to Sydney to make up for the start of your trip . Take care in getting everything done and have a great trip back. I’m looking forward to hearing about that too. It will be great to read the rest of your blogs. You’re not done yet…..Betty

    ReplyDelete