Day two was a wasted day, it was cold and windy, and it rained. I returned to Milsons Point during the day to get some photos, but the light was lousy. In the evening it rained so much, there was no point going out. Instead I spent most of the day in my room catching up with emails and the like.
Day 3 ...
This is my first introduction to the camper van life style, there
were a few hiccups, and I'm sure there will be more. But to start at
the beginning, I was up early, got to the airport in plenty of time.
The flight to Hobart good, I had a window seat, the plane had a lot
of empty seats.
Upon arrival at Hobart airport was I was fascinated to watch the
Quarantine Service dogs running up and down the conveyor sniffing the
luggage before the passengers could retrieve their belongings. I saw
some luggage taken off the conveyor. In Sydney I hear people
discussing their intention to smuggle vegetables into Tasmania; I
hope it was their luggage the dog identified.
As we entered the terminal building we were invited to voluntarily
surrender any prohibited items, a few steps later, and around a
corner, we passed Quarantine Officers with sniffer dogs. Some
passengers were taken aside; boy I bet they felt stupid after
ignoring the amnesty bin a few paces earlier.
As for the weather, it's fine, cloudy and very windy. The forecast is
rain for the next couple of days, followed by a cold front. This is
not looking promising.
After my luggage, I collected my camper van. I was delighted to
discover they'd upgraded me to a bigger van than the one requested.
It's a recent model Mercedes and comes complete with a TV and video
player. After completing the paper work I was required to watch a DVD
explaining every aspect of the van, it's features and how to use and
care for the van. That video had so much information, my head was
spinning. Fortunately there is a DVD in the glove box for later
reference.
Well, there is a video in the glove box alright, but it doesn't
relate to my particular van. It's okay, but the video I saw at the
office was specific to my make and model, while the video I have is
at best generic. I'll manage, end of story.
Before I left the office I purchased a National Parks pass that gets
me into all the National Parks. That saves paying every time I enter
a park, especially as they charge a daily entry fee at each park. I
was told I'll be saving money when I visit my third national park.
I had the option to buy a tank of fuel at the outset, with no
obligation to return the van with a full tank. Or I could drive away
with an obligation to return the van with a full tank. I opted for
the first option, it may end up costing more, but at least I wont be
hunting for a service station on the last day; one less thing to
worry about.
The camper van feels huge, I'm still getting used to its dimensions
and handling. It doesn't turn on sixpence and the steering is heavy.
It's also too long for the marked car spaces in every car park I've
yet been to. Not many I'll admit, but enough to know parking isn't as
easy as with a car.
My first task was to stock up on groceries. I drove across the
Causeway to Sorell and was severely buffeted by crosswinds. The van
presents a big surface to the crosswind, not fun at all.
At Sorell I stocked up on the things I thought I needed, but I'm sure
to have forgotten some things; only time will tell. From Sorell I
decided to drive into Hobart and find a camping ground close to where
I wanted to be. My GPS listed all the camping site, I selected one
and off we went. All went well until the voice instructed me to turn
right into a one way street with traffic running to the left. Not
only was it a one way street, but the GPS got the street name wrong.
At the next intersection it again instructed me to turn right, which
I did, but again the street name was wrong. Suddenly I had a crisis
of confidence in my GPS.
On my way into Hobart I had passed a few camping grounds, so I
unplugged the GPS and retraced my route to a camping ground I'd seen
earlier. At least I knew where it was and unlike the GPS, I had faith
in my judgement. I booked in at my chosen camping ground and launched
into my first camper van experience.
Before leaving the supermarket car park in Sorell, I had stowed all
my groceries in the cupboards. When I arrived at my camp site, I
found most of my provisions on the floor. Two of the cupboard doors
had failed their first test. Fortunately nothing was broken or
spoiled, it was mostly tinned goods and packaged items.
The van came with less than fully charged batteries, so tonight it's
connected to the park power supply to get fully charged. The van has
solar panels on the roof, but they won't collect many rays in the
coming days.
The camping ground is immaculate, I had been warned that facilities
in Tasmania are excellent, and this one certainly lives up to that
reputation. I cooked my dinner in the communal kitchen, it's
facilities are first rate. Rather than eat in the communal dining
area I brought my dinner back to my van. Silly me, I stepped into my
van and spilled my dinner onto the floor.
Rather than use the shower in my van, I decided to use the camping
ground's shower. This is when I discovered that I hadn't packed a
towel. There will be more shopping tomorrow.
It's early days; I'll get used to the pitfalls, and work out a
routine, but it may take a few days. My wireless internet is a
headache too. I have good signal strength, but can seldom connect to
any sites. It times out on just about every site; very frustrating.
Wow, that was a lot for Day 3. I love your stories. I'm so glad you have this blog. It's such great fun! May the rain disappear and you have warm sunny days with no mishaps for the remainder of your trip. It will no doubt be a most memorable trip. Have a great time!
ReplyDeleteHi Keith! Great to hear of your adventures and hope it has been smooth sailing today... Enjoyed your description of the sniffer dogs in action at the Airport! I know you will master the campervan shortly, but just remember how big it is! I have heard about hire cars having out-dated GPS and I guess that could be a problem for you too. Hope you soon get out of the wireless Black Spots and that the weather soon improves so you can give the camera a really good work-out! Looking forward to reading the next installment.. Stay safe and Best wishes... Gladys, Western Australia...
ReplyDelete