This has been a mixed day, with what seems like a positive balance.
I woke this morning, my camper van buffeted by a strong wind, if not
a gale. I thought “the gale that rocks the camper rules my world”,
and so it did. The Museum of Old and New Art was a possibility, but
I needed a sense of getting my holiday started. I didn't want to
spent the day in Hobart in this awful weather. Going south wasn't an
option since that's where we weather was coming from.
| My home for the next two weeks Below, an interior view |
In the morning a small mishap with the hot water cover on my van got
me rattled. I returned to the hire company's office to report the
mishap and they repaired it while I waited. Nothing is a problem to anybody here, they're so nice, so relaxed and incredibly friendly. While I waited the staff
urged me to head up the east coast to get away from the southerly
wind and rain. Besides, there's a second and colder front due in a
few days, and it is expected to bring snow to Mount Wellington
(overlooking Hobart) and the central highlands.
With all this in mind, I headed north towards Orford. Although it
was windy, the weather was still fine. To my mainlander's eyes,
Orford looks to be a long way from Hobart on the map. In fact it's a
short drive, 30 minutes maximum.
Knowing I'd be in Orford in no time, I diverted to Richmond. I
parked by the Coal River, took the obligatory tourist shots and
decided on a walk along Bridge Street, the main street with its
galleries, souvenir sellers and coffee shops. Part way through my
walk the weather changed and people scurried for cover. I turned for
the car park and got there with no time to spare as a front of cold
wind and rain swept over the town.
It was time to head for Orford, even though the wind and rain seemed
to be going the same way. At times it poured, other times it just
rained, but at least it's easy driving on Tasmanian roads; there's
hardly any traffic.
Coming from NSW, I'm used to seeing a different speed limit sign
every 500 metres (or less) but there are hardly any in Tasmania. On
the other hand, the roads are remarkably well sign posted. The rain
stopped at Orford, but Keith kept going. I stopped for lunch at
Raspins Beach on the northern outskirts of Orford. There are several
parking areas with facilities along the beach front; it's a lovely
place, even in these conditions. From Raspins Beach the view across
Prosser Bay towards Maria Island was lovely. A trip to Maria Island
National Park was on my wish list, but there are no roads on Maria
Island, and obviously no vehicular ferry.
Raspins Beach, looking towards Maria Island
Miraculously, and for just a few minutes, the clouds parted and I got a few sun lit shots from Raspins Beach. Heading north I skipped Triabunna with it's mountains of woodchips at the shipping terminal en route to Japan to become toilet paper. Surely our forests deserve a better end than this; who'd be a tree or a whale going to Japan.
The Tasman Highway returns to the coast at Little Swanport, where
after it climbs up and down along the coast with some spectacular
coastal scenery. There was no rain after Orford, the wind continued
and at times there were breaks in the clouds. Dare I hope for better
weather?
I reached Swansea about 3 this afternoon, even in these terrible conditions, I could see Swansea is a pretty place. I found a camping ground and was offered my pick of the powered sites. The camping ground is on three tiers falling down to the shore of Great Oyster Bay. I chose a site on the lowest level, only a few metres from a beach, and with views across the bay to Freycinet National Park and The Hazards, a rugged line of hills on the far shore.
View through the windscreen looking across Great Oyster Bay
Now, as I write this evening a howling gale is buffeting my van.
There is another wet and windy front forecast for tomorrow. I can
only make the most of it.





Hi Keith! So pleased to view your van with lovely panoramic windows and you should be very comfortable as long as the wind only 'gently rocks the cradle'... Your mention of places I visited brought memories of my 2006 trip flooding back. I loved historic Richmond, and thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Maria Island (28 mins on the fast ferry from Eastcoaster Resort Orford), Freycinet and the Hazards are very memorable too. Love your photos and the sky tells its own story, especially those black clouds.. As long as the rain holds off, you will find endless photo opportunities on this beautiful east coast.. Wishing you a happy day tomorrow... Gladys, Western Australia...
ReplyDeleteHi Keith, What an adventure you are having! I hope the cold front has blown through and the weather is better. You must have felt like you were in little more than a tent with those strong winds. It’s so nice to see these pictures of your van and the lovely beaches. The beaches are beautiful and the clouds add drama to the scenes, like the drama of the howling wind you were experiencing I imagine. How delightful that you could stay an extra day and do more exploring. It’s wonderful that you are sharing your trip with us through this great blog. Go and have a great time! ..from a little bit of Texas following your adventures, Betty
ReplyDelete